We sometimes need to increase our pool of sessional workers to deliver training and educational activities on food growing or healthy eating, and other environmental issues in a variety of community settings for children or adults. The rate for this work is £15 per hour gross. Call 020 8404 1522 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and ask for the relevant information. EcoLocal is an equal opportunities employer.
Cycle Delivery - we occassionally have an opportunity for an enthusiastic local bicycle courier rider for ad hoc work in the local area. Email email@example.com to register your interest in occasional work. See here for info on this website.
Befriender at Community Allotment
We are looking for volunteers to help support participants at the community allotment, working alongside our staff. Carshalton Community Allotment, situated in Westmead Allotment Site in Carshalton, is a thriving project engaging people in food growing, healthy eating and community activity.
• To offer support and work alongside participants so they feel able to participate and learn. This involves chatting to people while they work to help them to feel they are part of a friendly environment, gardening with people to help them achieve simple gardening tasks, encouraging people to take free fresh fruit and veg home, making sure participants take a break and making cups of tea etc with them
• To help and support volunteers to contribute their ideas to the development and planning of the community allotment.
• To support staff in keeping the community allotment running smoothly. For example, helping to put all the tools away at the end of the sessions.
• If you wanted, you could also assist with food growing, gardening or creative projects on the allotment depending on your interest and experience.
We welcome applicants who enjoy supporting others, are interested in community projects, happy to work outdoors, good at communicating with people of all abilities and backgrounds, and who are friendly. Some people who attend our allotment sessions need more support than others either through learning difficulties or mild mental health problems. So you’d need to be patient and willing to spend time to communicate with people. While we hope you’ll enjoy gardening, we don’t expect you to be an expert in food growing or gardening as our staff will show you what needs doing.
We will cover reasonable public transport costs (if needed). Refreshments (tea and coffee) are provided and free produce from the community allotment may be available at certain times of the year.
You will meet people from a wide variety of backgrounds and vulnerable adults facing a broad range of challenges. This role will provide you with the opportunity to expand your learning around horticulture and food growing and many other issues around sustainable living and support work.
Social Network Systems and Blog Researcher / Writer
EcoLocal has recently started using Facebook and Twitter. We have also started an e-newsletter. We are looking for one or two local volunteers with experience and interest in social networking sites as well as good writing skills to help us develop these activities.
This role requires:
• an interest in social network sites and how they can be used to communicate and engage with a wider audience
• knowledge of the technicalities of how to work social network sites
• writing and / or journalistic skills
• a keen interest in developing an understanding of the work EcoLocal does and in helping us engage people and organizations in our activities and services
• someone who is reliable and enthusiastic
• the ability to work with us to project the image we feel is best for the purpose of the charity and our social enterprises
Volunteering to help people with disabilities
We are looking for people to help at our cycling sessions for people with disabilities and older people at Sutton Arena on Mondays, Wednesdays or Thursdays 10am-12noon
Trackside Supporters Taking cycles out of the store and returning them after the sessions. All we ask that is you are enthusiastic, reliable, able to push/ride cycles and able to arrive at 9.30am as sessions need to start promptly. All abilities are welcome to help with this task.
Cycle Maintenance Assistant -Are you good at maintaining and re-conditioning bicycles? We are looking for someone who is able to offer time to help us maintain our fleet of disability access cycles during our cycling sessions on Mondays, Wednesday or Thursday mornings.
Inclusive Cycling Sessions Admin Assistant – This position is currently filled. These volunteers are enthusiastic people who run the registration desk to sign in attendees, taking the session fees, writing receipts, making sure attendees are aware of the track rules and encouraging people to enjoy cycling. You don't need to be able to cycle or know about bikes to help with this!
We can cover reasonable expenses. Due to restricted funding, we do ask all Trackside Supporters who wish to have a go cycling round the track to give £3 to help cover the cost of cycling, as they would if participating in the cycling session normally.
If you are interested, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
or phone 020 8404 1522
Community Research Volunteer
EcoLocal is keen to gather information on people’s opinions and needs in relation to the work we do locally. We are looking for local volunteer researchers to go out into our local communities to carry out simple questionnaires and gather email contact details for local people, so that we can improve the way we communicate.
This voluntary role requires someone who:
• enjoys talking to people about things that matter
• communicates well and can engage different types of people
• is happy in an outdoor environment
• is prepared to travel around the borough
• is motivated to help EcoLocal improve the way we communicate and gather information locally
• who is happy to work as part of a team but also on own
• who is reliable and enthusiastic
• good interpersonal skills, outgoing and able to communicate well face to face
Market Research Volunteer
We are looking for lively enthusiastic local volunteers to assist with researching target customer information to enable us to market our services to the right people. The EcoLocal charity has developed a range of services that it would like to offer across a wider geographical area. We are looking for volunteer researchers to help gather contact information for people and organizations who may benefit from the work we do. This is an office based volunteer role that involves web based research as well as contacting people by telephone to gather further information.
This role requires someone with:
• with experience of using the internet,
• who is happy contacting people by phone,
• motivated to help us promote the services we provide
• who is happy to work as part of a team but also on own
• who is reliable and enthusiastic
• excellent telephone communication skills
• good organizational skills
Carshalton Environmental Fair Volunteers
The Carshalton Environmental Fair is held each year on the August Bank Holiday Monday (end August). The event attracts some 10,000 people, there are over 100 stalls, 3 stages, children's area, bar and caterers. The Fair is run largely with the help of volunteers. If you volunteer for 2 hours or more you get a free lunch voucher, refreshments are also provided to keep you going throughout the day and you get free entry to the fair itself.
Event Stewards: are needed from 9.30am and will be situated on the entrance gates to
take entrance fees and hand out programmes. Stewards will work in small groups for an hour or two at a time for as long as agreed before-hand.
Control point desk stewards are needed from 9.30am to work in 1 or 2 hour shifts in
a small group providing information to the public (e.g. where are the toilets?) and assisting with lost children , etc.
Stall Arrival Marshalls are needed from early in the morning (7.30ish) until about 10am
to help see that the stall holders are shown to their plots quickly and efficiently. You will be checking vehicle passes, directing stall holders to their pitches in order to set up and ensuring that traffic congestion outside the gate is kept to a minimum.
Feedback questionnaire volunteers needed to carry out very short surveys with people attending the Fair to help get feedback about the event.
HELP IS ALSO REQUIRED FOR CLEARING UP THE PARK ON THE Tuesday after the event.
Carshalton Frost Fair Volunteers
Held on the first Saturday in December this very popular local event offer craft and local produce, music and children's activities and is the perfect start to the festive season.
Could you lend a hand setting up the event on Saturday morning - either building a marquee, putting up canopies or helping with electics. Or if lighter duties are more your thing we need teams of people to help as stewards and collect dontaions to help cover the cost of the event. We also would be be delighted to hear from people who could turn up fresh and full of energy to help us pack up the event in the evening!
Please contact email@example.com
If your area of interest is not currently listed, please do feel free to send us your details as skills are often transferable and new opportunities may arise.
EcoLocal periodically has both paid and voluntary positions available, covering subjects such as:
- local food growing and nature conservation projects
- green travel schemes
- cycle projects
- youth work
- event organisation
- office administration
- project development and fundraising
- professional skills
Do you have an interest in working (paid or voluntary) in any of the above fields?
Would like to us to put your contact details on file in the event of a vacancy? If so please send an email stating your interest, plus an up to date CV or summary of your experience and interests, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that by emailing us as per the above, you are agreeing to us keeping your contact details and nature of interest on file for up to 6 months.
Please be clear whether you are looking for paid or voluntary work.
We are happy to keep expressions of interest on file, but we make no offer or undertaking to offer paid or voluntary work to those replying to this advert.
EcoLocal is an equal opportunities employer.